Cyanobacteria Bloom-Central Delta 7/28/20
Central Valley Water Board staff has observed moderate cyanobacteria blooms in various Delta locations during routine recreational water quality monitoring activities. Cyanobacteria water samples were collected at five locations on 7/16/20 and sent to Bend Genetics for lab analysis.
- Moderate cyanobacteria HABs throughout the San Joaquin River, Disappointment Slough and Honker Cut.
- Two cyanobacteria genera (Microcystis and Aphanizomenon) detected at the locations sampled.
- Microcystins exceeding the Warning Guidance for posting of planktonic blooms at Potato Point and exceeding the Caution Guidance at Tinsley Island and Lost Isle. (https://mywaterquality.ca.gov/habs/resources/habs_response.html#posting_guidance)
|Microcystins (ug/L)||Recommended Signage|
|Sample #||Site||Water Sample||Scum Sample|
|11||San Joaquin River at Potato Point||10.56||Not collected||Warning|
|12||San Joaquin River at Tinsley Island||1.07||Not collected||Caution|
|13||San Joaquin River at Lost Isle||2.98||Not collected||Caution|
|14||Disappointment Slough||ND||Not collected||No Advisory|
|15||Honker Cut||ND||Not collected||No Advisory|
- Post recommended Warning and Caution signs (https://mywaterquality.ca.gov/habs/resources/habs_response.html#advisory_signs) at public access points at or near sampling locations.
- Request Division of Drinking Water and Dept. Of Water Resources staff coordinate with entities who have downstream drinking water intakes.
- State Water Board will post the recommended advisories to the Water Boards FHABs web map.
- Continue coordination with State Water Board (via [email protected] email) and Central Valley Regional Water Board (Matt Krause as HAB coordinator; [email protected])
- Report any potentially HAB-related illness reports by submitting an online bloom report California Harmful Algal Blooms Portal (or email to [email protected])
Region 5 Harmful Algal Bloom Coordinator
California Regional Water Quality Control Board
Central Valley Region (5)
Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program