This is the last of two public hearings on the Delta boondoggle tunnels project. They are making it an open house so that they don’t have to listen to public comments or respond to the outrage of hundreds of thousands of Californians who oppose the destruction the largest estuary on the west coast of the Americas.
Help us transform the open house.
Our goal: a video of how large we really are to share with the Secretary Jewell at the Department of the Interior and with President Obama. We will provide you with insightful questions to ask, help you craft your own thoughts, and plan some spirited, yet respectful activities to transform their dull open house into a party to oppose the tunnels. Buses available from Antioch, Discovery Bay, Stockton and Oakland! RSVP to [email protected] Let’s win this thing once and for all! We need to pack the “public hearings” on the Delta Tunnels!!
Let’s show Governor Brown how many people oppose the Delta tunnels and let’s have fun doing it. And if you drive to us from other parts of the state, please contact our office (209-475-9550) if you need help with accommodations.
Mark your calendars for July 28 Sacramento — that’s where we will be. If you cannot make the July 28 date from 3:00p to 7:00p, there is a second public meeting on July 29 in Walnut Grove (see below). We will have buses on July 28 to turn out people for the public hearing in Sacramento.
Buses will depart from these locations at 1:30 PM sharp EXCEPT in Oakland (Please arrive at least 15-20 minutes before departure time) to the “public hearing” location at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel:
• Stockton: A.G. Spanos Building, 10100 Trinity Parkway, Stockton, CA 95219
• Antioch: Lauritzen Marina, 115 Lauritzen Ln, Oakley, CA 94561
• Discovery Bay: 871 Marina Blvd, Discovery Bay, CA 94505
• Oakland: The Leamington Building, 1814 Franklin St, Oakland, CA 94612 Departure Time: 12:30 PM
Buses will leave Sacramento back to their original bus stops at 5:30 PM. The Oakland bus will leave at 4:30 PM.
To reserve a bus seat for July 28, e-mail [email protected] with your bus depart location, your cell phone number (or best number to reach you), and the number of guests who will be boarding the bus with you (if any).
Stay connected with us for more important details to be determined!!! Starting today and in the upcoming week, look out for alerts from us via e-mail, social media, or our website for helpful information on how you can participate in this public comment process. For a list of top 10 questions for you to help formulate your comments, click here.
Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm (Please join us from 3:00 to 5:30 PM!!)
Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, Magnolia Room
1230 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Jean Harvie Senior and Community Center
14273 River Road, Walnut Grove, CA 95690
Dear Restore the Delta friends,
Here is what you need to know for our "Transform the Open House" event tomorrow, which begins at 3:00 PM until 5:30 PM outside of the Sheraton Grand Hotel in downtown Sacramento (1230 J Street).
- Weather in Sacramento will be 102 degrees (Hot with plenty of sunshine)! Make sure you bring a refillable water bottle (we will have refillable water stations from across from the hotel), sunblock, & a hat/umbrella for shade. Wear light-weight and appropriate summer clothing! If you cannot bring these items for yourself, there are small cafes, restaurants, and stores in the area. We will also have sunblock on hand.
- For drivers, street parking up and down J street is available near the hotel and there are two parking garages on both sides of 13th street (to the right and left of the hotel — all very close by). If you're confused, look for our volunteer with a parking direction sign.
- Be prepared to ask tough and thoughtful questions. We recommend that you write out your public comment before speaking in front of our video cameras and going in front of state court reporters.
- As you line up to record your video public comment with us, please make sure you do not block the sidewalks.
- The order to record video public comments begins with 1) Raging Grannies, 2) Elected Officials, and 3) Oakland bus attendees (because their bus will leave by 4:30 PM) — and then everyone else will get a turn.
- Bring tasteful, funny signs and props (optional). You want to represent the Delta with class while showing how ridiculous the tunnels are! Our volunteers will watch your signs when you go into the open house hearing to speak with state court reporters.
Any questions or concerns regarding restrooms or the event, please speak with Restore the Delta staff or the people with the volunteer badges with the green strings!
We will be handing out pins, bumper stickers, our 10 question sheets (10 questions that Delta Tunnel boosters do not want you to ask) and our Stop the Tunnels handout.
Our goal for this event is to send a video of our public comments to the Secretary of Interior Sally Jewell and President Obama — so please make sure you record a public comment with us prior to entering the faux public hearing set up by BDCP agencies inside the Sheraton Hotel.
Let’s win this thing once and for all! We need to pack the “public hearings” on the Delta Tunnels!!
** Find out more about these public hearings and bus departing locations by going to our website here and scrolling down. If you did not make a bus RSVP but need a bus ride to this event, we encourage you to show up at the bus departing locations early to let our bus captains know.
** Our media advisory on the public hearings.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!